22 Feb 2012
RVA and our affiliates are doing our part to become more environmentally friendly. In order to conserve water in our resort-style properties, we implemented The Water Conservation Hotel and Motel Program (C.H.A.M.P.). This program helps lodging facilities save water and money while practicing more efficient housekeeping and landscaping.
Also, our in-room toiletries have gone green. This means all packaging is made from recyclable materials, fragrances are created with natural aromas and liquids are completely biodegradable.
- Turn water heater to lowest setting
- Turn off AC/heat or adjust the thermostat to protect plants, etc.
- Appliances, such as TVs and computers should be unplugged because they can draw or leak as much as 40 watts per hour when they are off
- Stop your local newspaper
- Keep your showers short, and turn off the water while brushing your teeth
- Do not run the linens and towels through the unit washer & dryer prior to check-out
- Reuse your sheets and towels instead of having them changed every day.
- When you leave your unit, turn off the lights, TV and radio. Close the drapes to keep your accommodation cool
- Leave little bottles of amenities in the unit if unopened
- Keep bar soap wrappers and take used bars of soap home
- Instead of leaving bathroom lights (and fans) on all night, pack night lights
- If you purchase a newspaper, pass it on to someone else at the pool or beach, or leave it at the front desk for another reader
- Buy local souvenirs. Supporting local artists or small shops helps the local economy of the place you are visiting, but it also cuts the cost of transporting the mass-produced souvenirs found at chain shops
- Pack reusable water bottles and fill up as necessary while on vacation
- When dining out, only request water if you are going to drink it
- Help reduce paper by allowing us to email your confirmation and receipts
- Take only the necessary brochures or maps. Return maps or brochures to the front desk upon leaving
- Take only photographs. Do not take souvenirs from natural or historic areas
- Leave only footprints. Take everything out that you brought in with you
- Pick up at least one piece of litter every day, especially when walking along our beaches